Broadwell the seat of Danvers Hodges Esq. Johannes Kip (1653-1722) The Ancient & Present State of Gloucestershire, pub by Sir Robert Atkyns 1712.
British History Online tells us that Evesham Abbey claimed that King Coenred gave it Broadwell in 708. If the claim was just, the abbey later lost Broadwell for a time, because c. 1034 the estate was 'redeemed' from Canute for the abbey by Ælfweard, Bishop of London. The abbey held Broadwell manor. The abbey was granted free warren in Broadwell in 1251, & in 1276 claimed the assize of bread & ale. Broadwell was held with the abbey's estate at Bourton-on-the-Water by service of one knight's fee.
The population of Broadwell may have fallen slightly between the 11C & the 16C. Domesday enumerated 48 persons, including 13 servi; in 1327, 20 people were assessed for the subsidy; in 1381, 71 people paid poll tax; & in 1563 there were about 20 households. The evidence for population in the 17C is contradictory; for example, there were said to be about 24 families in 1650, while 42 householders were listed in the hearth tax assessment of 1672. The only violent disturbance known to have impinged on Broadwell occurred in 1646, when the parliamentary army came up on the rear of royalist forces between Donnington & Stow.
Part of the abbey's estate in Broadwell was not sold with the manor in 1545. In 1619, the manor itself, apparently comprising only the demesne, was bought by Anthony Hodges & William Chadwell, who divided it between themselves in 1621. The moiety of Anthony Hodges, which included the manor-house of which Hodges was in possession in 1619, descended in his family to Danvers Hodges (d. 1721), who devised his estate to his 3 nieces, Anne, Mary, & Martha.