European Copper Beech (Fagus sylvatica 'Atropunicea')
The original purple-leaf beech was discovered in the Hanleiter Forest of Germany before 1772. The copper beech was an early offspring of this wild form with paler leaves.
In 1807 Jefferson twice ordered “Purple Beeches” from Thomas Main’s nursery in Georgetown. Jefferson directed his overseer, Edmund Bacon, to plant them in the southwest and northwest angles of Monticello.
For more information & the possible availability for purchase